Blogs can be very useful and beneficial to an organization. For example, an accounting firm can use a blog to advertise itself to potential clients. These potential clients can get a taste of what the firm is really like and what they specialize in to decide if they want to conduct business with that firm. It can also transfer updated information to already existing customers and contacts. For example, a change in management personnel or a new tax law that can benefit several of that firm’s clients can be advertised. The blog can also be useful to provide the internal organization with information to keep employees informed.
- Blogs can help the organization develop closer ties with its customers (McGovern, 2004).
- Blogs are a good way to get feedback from customers to see how they like/dislike different business ideas (McGovern, 2004).
- Blogs can be used to showcase the talent and capabilities of the organization (McGovern, 2004).
- Blogs provide the ability to target customers in a professional manner and at a low cost (Wilson, 2010).
- Blogs allow firms to connect with other businesses, increasing the firm’s presence in the industry (Wilson, 2010).
- The people who know more and are most involved with the organization often do not have time to write a blog (McGovern, 2004).
- Blogs are easy to start-up but they are difficult to maintain. Often times, organizations start up blogs but fail to regularly update them (McGovern, 2004).
- In order to compete with other businesses, many companies will have to invest a lot of money in customizing the blog and getting trained experts to adjust it (Kaushik, 2008).
- Users can potentially leave negative messages on the blog deteriorating the image of the organization (Chetty, 2010).
Chetty, P. (2010, Februaury 16). The Drawbacks of Business Blogging. Retrieved March 26, 2010, from Project Guru: http://www.projectguru.in/publications/?p=101
Kaushik, P. (2008, Novemeber 24). All About Corporate Blogging. Retrieved March 26, 2010, from Suite101: http://internet.suite101.com/article.cfm/all_about_corporate_blogging
McGovern, G. (2004, August 23). Blogs and Blogging: Advantages And Disadvantages. Retrieved March 26, 2010, from Website Notes: http://archive.websitenotes.com/websitenotes-37-20040823BlogsandBloggingAdvantagesandDisadvantages.html
Wilson, T. (2010, March 25). Business Blogs- What Advantages do they have for your Business? Retrieved March 27, 2010, from Article Alley: http://www.articlealley.com/article_1469016_80.html